Primary objective of this position: Provide a reliable and professional service ensuring all tooling and equipment is available to use as required to meet production plan across all aspects of the Business. Assist in developing and fostering a continuous improvement culture for site maintenance activity, continually seeking out cost reduction and efficiency improvement initiatives.
Reporting to and their job title: Technical Manager
Environment: Factory – busy, high volume FMCG manufacturing and assembly
Core Responsibilities and Performance Measures for this role:
- Provide Injection Mould tool repairs as directed
- Maintain all of all Injection Mould tooling as directed.
- Ensuring all Injection Moulding tools are running efficiently when in Production run mode.
- Responsible for the completion and recording of all TPM checks.
- Maintain a safe working environment ensuring all gangways are kept free from hazards and all componentry and equipment is stored in the correct location.
- Ensure that all Company procedures, paperwork and methods are adhered to and up to date
- Maintain all quality standards are met and appropriate departments informed of non-conformities
Other Responsibilities & Duties
- Responsible for KPIs: OEE, efficiency, quality and conformance.
- ensuring all work is completed safely and with relevant authorisation
- Undertake fault analysis and corrective actions when required
- Be an active member of the Plastic Processing Production team across all areas and support CIT activities on the shop floor
- Assist in Maintaining and updating component parameters and registers
- Assist in the repair of equipment with technicians and other setters where necessary
- Identify equipment not fit for purpose.
- Provide day-to-day support to peers and managers as required
- Ensure all pre-production checks are completed in accordance with agreed procedures
- Prepare for and assist in stock checks as required by the Company
Minimum Qualifications / Experience required:
- Time served apprentice in a Tool Room is essential with proven track record.
- Previous experience in repairing Injection Mould tools of varying sizes from 100Kg up to 10-Tonne working on equipment such as lathes, spark eroders, solvent baths, horizontal / vertical grinders & milling machines etc.
- Good mechanical knowledge with tool assembly and diagnosis experience
- Practical knowledge of Injection Mould Tool Design and Processes
- Diagnostic methodology in repairing tools
- Coaching and training of Setters and Technicians
- Experience of working within strict time limits
- Qualified to use Hoist / Lifting equipment
- Manage and control hazardous substances in accordance with appropriate legislation
Key behavioural competencies:
- Must have a positive and challenging approach to the work environment and fully understand and embrace a continuous improvement culture
- Capable of working under limited supervision
- Tenacious and driven to succeed in a demanding and testing environment
- Able to effectively and positively manage and support the process organisational change
- Works effectively with other departments to achieve a good result for the business as a whole
- Able to maintain discipline within the team at all times (e.g. managing breaks and work tasks)
- High degree of flexibility / initiative, with the ability to communicate across all departments
- Good temperament – can deal with difficult or pressurised situations
- Confident and accurate decision maker
- Calm, clear thinker – even when under pressure
- Practical and hands on
- Awareness of manufacturing pressures and needs to keep equipment operating
Additional skill requirements:
- Can deal with situations to ensure outside influences do not effect performance of department
- Influencing skills within own and Management peer group
- Good sense of urgency and responsiveness to “Setting” situations
- Awareness to permanently resolve all equipment inefficiencies
- Manage demanding individuals to achieve results and Company targets
- Analyse, review and help implement agreed changes within production
- Capable of performing administrative work, miscellaneous paperwork, and data collection